GWS E-Starter

Note the engine sticking out past the cowling.

The E-Starter was actually the second plane I bought. But I saw several crashed and miserable examples on the local flying fields and was determined to build mine right and learn to fly adequately before putting it in the air.
I would be different!

However, I was already annoyed with the plane. I carefully tried to balance it out using the stock battery compartment, but it simply could not be done. So to get it in the air, I stuck on a Cyrano motor mount, which looked absurd. But it balanced.

So of course on my very first flight I had a rough landing. It's better than it looks, though: no damage. I did manage to get it off the field intact!

It actually flew pretty well! Sedate, easily controlled, and did some simple aerobatics (slow loops and rolls).

So I took it home, made a more forward battery holder, put on some tape and window stickers -- then got it some better wheels to cope with the grass.

After that I was able to deal with the landings pretty well. Here's a nice approach shot of the final "stock" version.

Then disaster struck.

This happened while starting a landing approach. I had been hanging out in a very empty area of sky, and started my approach well behind the main flying area. Nevertheless, someone managed to stray right in front of my plane and I centerpunched it. This was the result, and the end of the Estarter in stock configuration.

I took it home and shelved it for a couple of weeks, then chopped out all the ruined stuff and made a smaller flat-wing version on which I put a Himax brushless for a short while. The plane was still boring to fly, and the motor made an awful sound. Sold the motor, retired the plane.

It's sitting on the back porch now.

Back To Planes Index


Copyright 2004 by David Mark North