Distinctive wing shape and "cloud camo" bottom
First flight with its "real" motor, a handbuilt pumping out a little
more power than I usually use (about 240 watts using some special
chinese no-longer-available batteries from slofly.com). The motor
is big, and I used a 9" prop to try to get some of that "Big Hog"
Since I was sure I'd crash it (I did) there are no decals yet. Those will go on after I'm fairly sure I won't mess them up. Partly I had a minor crash because the plane flies too well! It weighs in just under 23 ounces, and I thought it would be something of a pig. But it can float, especially with flaperons. I kept slowing down and slowing down, lower and lower, until of course I tipped it out right off the deck. Almost no damage.
Phoenix 25 ESC and two Eflite servos for the tail feathers. Since there's no place for a carbon rod, I filled the undercamber with a combination of carbon and balsa, fixed in place with epoxy and micro balloons. The canopy looks great up close; it was made from two canopies. The outer one was painted to match the plane, then the "clear parts" cut out, and glued on top of a standard blank.
Note the aileron rod covers under the wings
I used dual aileron servos to avoid the gull-wing aileron rod problems. Two HE-540s are literally buried in the wings: nothing shows of either the servos or the arms, just the rods emerging from their protective sheaths.
Pilot has instrument rating
I blew $7 for this little guy, which probably isn't worth it. But it just seemed perfect.
Back To Planes Index
Copyright 2006 by David Mark North